Student Visa

Student Visas

Since early 2002, the Immigration Department has become much more stringent concerning training matters.

Who needs a visa?

All Non-US citizens are required to be on a student training visa to complete a course of flight training in the US. A course is considered to be flight training when it is towards a license, certificate or rating. Examples are a Private, Commercial, Airline Transport Pilots License (whether EASA (formerly JAA) or FAA, ground or flight training), Multi Engine class certification, EASA (formerly JAA) Night qualification, Instrument Rating, UK CAA IMC rating etc.

NAC is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program under the direction of Immigration and Customs Enforcement/Department of Homeland Security to issue M-1 training visas to overseas students training here in the US. This Visa allows students to legally train in the US for up to 12 months (subject to their course), and is renewable for up to five years. This visa can be validated for multiple entry to the USA.

Some US Embassies require a personal interview. NAC suggests that upon completion of the enrollment form you contact the US Embassy nearest your current residence for an interview date. The interview date can be the next days or it may be 6-8 weeks in advance, it varies US Embassy to US Embassy. The INS will require proof that funds are available for the full course of training, and that you have a permanent address to return to in your home country.

Scroll down to look at the two sets of forms you will need to attain the visa.

Who doesn’t need a visa?

Licence holders who are just coming to the USA to build hours, refresh/renew their licence or to do a skills test are not required to hold a student visa and may enter the country on the Visa Waiver Program ( if a passport holder of a member country) or a B type visa ( if your country is not part of the Visa waiver program), as long as you are not required to gain a license to fly( the conversion offered by the FAA office is not considered flight training).

Persons entering on a Visa Waiver or B type visa will be required to hold a return air ticket.

A new requirement for Visa Waiver entry is to complete ESTA

Traveling to Naples Air Center

Students are encouraged to fly into the Airports closest to Naples which are: Fort Myers Airport (Southwest Florida International), RSW, Miami International Airport (MIA) or Tampa International Airport. Fort Myers is only a 40 minute drive to Naples as opposed to a 2 hour journey from Miami or Tampa airports.

We recommend that all overseas students purchase travel insurance for the duration of their trip to the US

School Issued Forms and Requirements


The white I-20 M-N form issued through the new SEVIS program




A letter from the school you are going to attend regarding the take off mass of the airplane to be used for training.


Forms you need to complete to submit to the Embassy

Once you have this form, please review the following FIVE STEPS below before beginning your visa application.

Step 1: If you have ever arrested and/or have a criminal conviction, have a medical ineligibility, or have been denied entry into or deported from the United States you will be required to furnish documents relating to your situation in support of your application.  Please click on the relevant links for further information.

Step 2:   Click here to get information on “How to Apply”

Step 3:  Pay the SEVIS fee

Step 4: Complete the online DS-160

Step 5: Gather additional required documents

Reminder: We always recommend that individuals apply for visas well in advance of their proposed date of travel. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of non refundable ticket should not be made until a visa has been issued and you are in receipt of the passport.



Helpful Links


Websites of US EmbassiesU.S. Embassy

Further information on student visasVisa information